PLEASE NOTE: THIS CAMPAIGN HAS NOW BEEN HANDED OVER TO THE U.S ALLIANCE TO END THE HITTING OF CHILDREN
Currently, I’m trying to attract press attention to my petition to ask Amazon not to stock books which advocate the physical abuse of children. I’m compiling and circulating the following list of ‘notable signatories’. Of course, every one of the ten thousand seven hundred and ten people who have signed the petition so far are immensely notable and significant to me. But with Amazon refusing to respond, I want to try and attract attention, both to the petition itself, and to Amazon’s silence.
I have therefore been in contact with the following signatories and gained their permission to make public their support of my campaign. I am immensely grateful to them, not just for this support, but also for their individual contributions to the awareness of child protection.
- Jordan Riak, Founder and Executive Director of Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education
- Margarita Cala, M.D., Attending Psychiatrist, NYU School of Medicine
- Frank Schaeffer, author, film director, screenwriter, activist: www.frankschaeffer.com
- Stefan Molyneux of Freedomain Radio
- Janet Heimlich, author of Breaking Their Will: Shedding Light on Religious Child Maltreatment
- Samuel Martin, biblical scholar and author of Thy Rod and Staff They Comfort Me: Christians and the Spanking Controversy
- James C. Talbot, author of The Road to Positive Discipline, A Parent’s Guide
- Al Crowell, Board member of Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education for ten years, Co-author of pamphlet The Nonviolent Christian Parent: Raising Children with Love, Limits, and Wisdom
- Michael Goldfield, Child Advocate and Board member of Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education
- Hermana Linda, Campaigner, whynottrainachild.com
UPDATE! 22/11/11 NEW SIGNERS:
- Prof George.W.Holden, Professor of Psychology, SMU, Chair of the Global Summit on Ending Corporal Punishment and Promoting Positive Discipline, 2011, Dallas, TX. Prof Holden’s research at the Holden Lab focuses on understanding the determinants and significance of the parent-child relationship in development.
- Robert Fathman Ph.D, Clinical Psychologist, Co-Founder of the Center for Effective Discipline and the National Coalition to Abolish Corporal Punishment in Schools. Co-Chair EPOCH-USA (End Physical Punishment of Children, part of an international federation of organizations seeking to end corporal punishment of children)
UPDATE! 23/11/11 NEW SIGNERS:
- Sue Gerhardt, Psycholanalytic Psychotherapist, author of bestselling book Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes A Baby’s Brain, and The Selfish Society.
- Nadine Block, co-founder of the Center for Effective Discipline, co-chair of EPOCH-USA, author of This Hurts Me More Than It Hurts You
UPDATE! 24/11/11 NEW SIGNERS!:
- Peter Newell, Coordinator of the Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children, and long term advocate for children’s rights in the UK and internationally. In England he chaired the NGO Children’s Rights Alliance from 1992 to 2002 and is Coordinator of the Children are Unbeatable! Alliance, campaigning for abolition of all corporal punishment. Together with his partner, Rachel Hodgkin, he prepared UNICEF’s Implementation Handbook for the Convention on the Rights of the Child. He has worked frequently as a consultant for UNICEF, in particular advising on general measures for implementation of the Convention and on establishment of independent human rights institutions for children. He is also Adviser to the European Network of Ombudspeople for Children.
- Margaret Sims, Professor of Early Childhood, University of New England, NSW, Australia, author of numerous books, book chapters, journal articles, and reports, all with focus on the importance of early childhood. Of particular note to this campaign is Policy Brief no.20on Physical Punishment.
UPDATE! 25/11/11 NEW SIGNERS!:
- Wendy Priesnitz, Owner and Editor, Natural Life Magazine, leading environmental and educational advocate, founder of the Canadian Alliance of Home Schoolers, author of numerous books. Wendy commented: Neither I nor my book publishing business does business with amazon.com. That’s my way of protesting this and many other issues.
- Kjelene Bertrand, Producer of NTR Radio Network
UPDATE! 28/11/11 NEW SIGNERS!:
- Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, Associate Professor, University of Michigan School of Social Work, author of extensive research on corporal punishment, in which he has “consistently found that parental use of corporal punishment is associated with undesirable increases in outcomes like antisocial behavior, and anxiety/depression among children.”
- Norm Lee, Parenting Without Punishing
UPDATE! 29/11/11 NEW SIGNER:
- Reginald Leamon Robinson, Professor of Law, Howard University School of Law, Washington DC, expert in children in the law and child maltreatment, author of three critical essays about child maltreatment, advocate for conscious parenting.
UPDATE! 04/12/11 NEW SIGNERS:
- Deb Sendek, Director, Center for Effective Discipline, Child Abuse Prevention Specialist.
- Dr. Madeleine Y. Gómez, PTAVE Board member, President and founder of PsycHealth, Ltd, co-author This Hurts Me More Than It Hurts You.
UPDATE! 06/02/12 NEW SIGNER!
- Revd Giles Fraser, former Canon Chancellor of St Paul’s Catherdral, writer for The Guardian, regular contributor to BBC Radio 4 Thought for the Day, founder and President, Inclusive Church.
As you can see, this list just keeps growing! If you have signed the petition, are an author, campaigner, psychologist, expert or scholar, or think your signature adds to the campaign in any way, please get in touch with me.